Clinical Internship Opportunities
January 24, 2024
Purpose of Position
The Clinical Intern is assigned to the Clinical and Forensic Services Department. This Intern will be trained in conducting mental health assessments using standardized measures and will provide trauma-focused treatment for children, adolescents, and their caregivers. This Intern will also co-facilitate group therapy sessions for children and adolescents who have engaged in problematic sexual behavior and their caregivers. This Intern will be responsible for triaging treatment recommendations based on mental health assessment findings and provide case management to support treatment success. The Intern will also aid in the forensic interviewing and multi-disciplinary team case review processes and assist with administrative tasks.
Clinical and Forensic Services Department Overview
The Clinical and Forensic Services Department supports the Dee Norton Child Advocacy Center’s mission by identifying children who have experienced abuse and trauma or who have engaged in problematic sexual behaviors and providing evidence-based services, when available, to those children and their caregivers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under direct supervision by a Master’s Level Clinician, the Clinical Intern will:
- Conduct mental health assessments to include administering and interpreting standardized measures
- Triage treatment needs of children based on symptomology determined in the mental health assessment
- Learn and demonstrate knowledge and skill with implementing Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT), including completion of TF-CBTWeb and Child VictimWeb
- Learn and demonstrate knowledge and skill with implementing both school-aged and adolescent models of Group Treatment for Youth with Problematic Sexual Behaviors, including completion of the Youth with Problematic Sexual Behavior online training series
- Engage families in psychoeducation sessions (B-Safe, PSB-Safe, and T-Safe) to further promote body safety and sexuality education
- Conduct case management to support client engagement in the continuum of services offered at Dee Norton
- Attend training sessions and orientations
- Participate in Clinical Intern Group supervision meetings
- Assist with forensic interviews through live observation and note taking
- Document clinical service notes in a timely and professional manner
- Provide general clerical support (i.e. copying, filing, data entry, etc.)
- Must have completed at least one internship (e.g. Practicum or Foundation Year Field Placement) prior to application
- Must have successfully completed a Master’s level course in ethics or demonstrate familiarity with the student’s respective Professional Code of Ethics and work within ethical boundaries throughout the length of the internship, inside and outside of Dee Norton
- Ability to work effectively in a professional environment
- Reliability and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Competent, focused work ethic and excellent attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, Word)
Hours are determined by school hour requirements. A minimum of 16 hours per week is required. Shifts are scheduled during regular business hours, Monday – Friday 8:30AM – 5PM. In addition, Interns are required to assist with facilitating groups (Wednesdays 5:00PM – 6:30PM).
Benefits of Position
- Become engaged with various community agencies that collaborate on potential child abuse cases.
- Opportunity to learn about the multi-disciplinary process as it relates to community coordination and response to child abuse.
- Gain mastery in assessing for trauma symptoms and providing Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
- Gain experience and knowledge base in providing evidence based treatment to children and adolescents who have engaged in problematic sexual behavior and their caregivers.
- Gain experience and skills for providing individual, family and group therapy.
- Experience working within a successful non-profit mental health agency.
- Exposure to various community non-profit organizations and human services agencies.
- Interns are required to complete and participate in all on-boarding activities, tasks, and events including orientation block week, online trainings and readings, and must submit HR documents in a timely manner.
- Background check completed by Dee Norton.
Email [email protected] to apply for the volunteer position.